The lecture will be held upstairs (not in the social hall like usual) at United Methodist Church located at 6875 W. 173rd Pl. in Tinley Park, IL.
Danny Orleans has performed over 4000 shows for over one-million children, parents and teachers at schools, theaters, museums and private events. Normally, that would be qualification enough to be an expert in children’s magic, but Danny Orleans has many more.
- Graduated Northwestern University’s School of Education
- Taught preschool through 8th grade in public and private schools,
- Wrote the column “Pediatrix” for 3 years in Genii Magazine
- Awarded1st place for his article on children’s magic in The Linking Ring, “Surviving a Lion Safari.”
- With his wife, Jan Rose, he toured a children’s theater magic show to major theaters, museums and children’s theater festivals throughout North America and the Caribbean islands
- Consulted for Scholastic Publishing on their “Ultimate Magic Club,” and wrote 11 books teaching the art of performing magic to children. Also wrote Magic Scratchers for Chronicle Publishing.
- Consulted for the Chicago History Museum’s recent exhibition MAGIC.
His lecture on Children’s Magic is based on his new 3 DVD set, “The Art of Presenting Magic to Children.” He shows clips of real performing situations from the DVD and uses them as a springboard for discussion. He asks the magicians to determine how they would handle specific challenges that children present to kids’ magicians.
1. What do you do if a child in your audience suddenly stands up?
2. What do you do if child can’t follow your verbal instruction on how to hold a prop?
3. How do you teach children not to shout out without scolding or yelling at them?
Danny explains “Behaviorism” and the verbal tricks he uses to modify youngsters’ behavior. You will learn:
- 3 ways to get an audience quiet without asking them to be quiet.
- Verbal tricks to get kids to be a good audience without demands, scolding or a whip.
- How to use techniques of positive reinforcement as an audience management strategy.
- How to unify your audience.
- His pre-show silent warmup.
- A master trick to get onstage helpers to stay put on stage
- A technique to get two laughs from an audience from one gag.
- Danny’s Colossal Coloring Book Routine, big enough to play for an audience of 2000.
- Danny’s five goals that he tries to achieve for every show.
- And a whole lot more.
If magicians in your magic community do shows for children, this is a lecture that will help them be better performers. Through the use of audience management strategies, they can easily improve the impact on their audiences when they perform magic for children and their families.
Once again, the lecture is at 7:30 on April 17 at United Methodist Church located at 6875 W. 173rd Pl. in Tinley Park, IL.
Admission is $15.00. Come on out for a great evening!